This four-week campaign designed to educate teen drivers about the dangers of riding in a car (in any position in the front or back seat, with any driver) without wearing a seat belt, and increase the number of teens who regularly wear seat belts.
The rules of the challenge are outlined below. To participate in the NOYS Seat Belts Save Challenge, schools must adhere to these rules and deadlines. Failure to follow the rules in their entirety may result in disqualification.
- Complete and return the school registration form. The form must be signed by an advisor and the school principal on or before October 6, 2015.
- Conduct unannounced seat belt checks. Seat Belts Save is designed to increase awareness and use of seat belts among high school students. The challenge involves two UNANNOUNCED checks of student seat belt use. Schools that announce the seat belt check in advance will be disqualified. The first seat belt check should be conducted at the start of the campaign before any education efforts take place. Data collected will represent the student body’s baseline for seat belt use. The results of the second seat belt check will indicate the effectiveness of each school’s education and outreach activities. The seat belt checks are mandatory and must be completed by the registered school group. Anyone who is riding in a vehicle that accesses the high school’s campus (students, parents, and faculty) should be checked. Multiple forms will be needed by each team to record results.
- Conduct an education campaign. The education campaign should begin within 72 hours after the first unannounced seat belt check and should be ongoing for a two-week period. The second unannounced seat belt check should take place 48 to 72 hours after the last day of the education campaign.
- Complete efforts by December 18, 2015. The two seat belt checks and the education campaign should be conducted before December 18, 2015.
- Submit results and report. The results of the two seat belt checks and a summary of the education campaign must be submitted by January 8, 2016.
More information and registration links are available at www.seatbeltssave.org